THIS POST WAS ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED JANUARY 10, 2011
2011 Africa - Investment Destination for Miners - Part III: West African Countries
It is impossible within the Blog framework constrains to describe all the feature of mining investments in West Africa. To this point, I would like to recommend two valuable sources:
USAID Property Rights and Resource Governance: Information Portal – on this page one may find a detailed information source on the mineral property rights in many countries of the world, including West Africa.
AfricanEconomicOutlook.org combines the expertise of the African Development Bank, the OECD Development Centre, the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa and a network of African think tanks and research centers. The profiles of 50 African countries may be found here
Recent legal developments in the mining sector of West African states – mostly discusses ECOWAS (The Economic Community of West African States) initiatives in legal mining issues.
Now, let have a very brief outlook of certain West African states with relevant useful links:
Burkina Faso is recognized by many explorers to be the “Darling of West Africa.” Major minerals include: gold, manganese, zinc.
- Benin, Burkina Faso, and Sao Tome e Principe—2009 USGS
- Small-Scale Mining in Burkina Faso
- Rocks for Crops Burkina Faso Geology
- We’re open for business, Burkina Faso tells miners
- Mining Journal - MJ Burkina Faso Supplement 11/10
Ghana - Africa’s second largest gold producer after South Africa. It also has: manganese ore, bauxite and diamonds. Liberia
Liberia is one of the most unexplored countries in the world. It has: gold, diamonds, iron ore, nickel, manganese, palladium, platinum, uranium, barites, kysnite, phosphate, clays, heavy mineral beach sands, bauxite and manganese.
- OPEN LETTER TO POTENTIAL INVESTORS IN THE MINERAL INDUSTRY OF LIBERIA
- Mining in Liberia
- Mineral Policy of Liberia
Mali is one of Africa’s largest gold producer - representing 95% of the country’s mineral production. Apart from gold. Other minerals include: bauxite, iron ore, base metals and phosphate deposits, uranium-silver.
- Rock for Crops: Mali Geology
- Mali’s mining & Petroleum industry
- Mining Taxation: An Application to Mali
- USGS The Mineral Industries of Mali and Niger
- AngloGold Ashanti Mali: Morila
Sierra Leone is rich in mineral resources: diamonds, gold, bauxite, rutile, and iron ore
- Sierra Leone Mining Sector Brief
- The Sierra Leone mining sector: An opportunity or a lasting national shame?
- Mineral Resources: What Can Sierra Leone Offer You?
- USGS: The Mineral Industries of Liberia and Sierra Leone in 2007
Mainly known for its phosphate deposits, but also has: gold, zircon, titanium, iron ore, marble, uranium, copper and chromium industrial limestone, attapulgite, peat and natural gas.
- Republic of Senegal - Mining Investment Opportunities in Senegal
- Senegal - A Supplement to Mining Journal
- Senegal - 2011-2015 - Senegal - Country Strategy Paper by African Development Bank
- Minerals in Senegal by USAID Property Rights and Resource Governance: Information Portal
That completes a brief overview of mining opportunities for investments in West Africa